Thursday, September 4, 2008

A month of FreeRunning

So I ran Qtopia until I couldn't stand not being able to suspend it, at which point I decided to try the 2008.8 update. I put it on my 'unstable' partition (the microSD card) and it seemed to work okay. I ran with it for a while, always switching back to the (battery-eating) qtopia when I needed more stability.

Then I decided to do an opkg update/upgrade on the 2008.08 and... it merrily assumed that it was the main distro and reflashed the NAND kernel as well as (correctly) upgrading the uImage.bin in the FAT partition on the microSD card. *sigh* At that point I didn't have time to deal with it and 2008.08 seemed fine, so decided to see how it would go.

...and the answer was: unstably. It was nowhere near stable enough for daily use. So as of a couple days ago, I'm back on qtopia (4.3.2) as my main stable feed with FSO(m2+testing feed) as my 'unstable' distro. I did have to tweak the 'Speaker Playback Volume' in /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state up to 127 (from the default of 100) to be able to hear the other end a bit better. Oh, and happily, qtopia now suspends correctly, so battery life is greatly enhanced to say the least!

No comments: